Charleston is charming. I also happen to think it is an underrated destination. It is a gorgeous city crammed with cobblestone alleyway and steeped in history. But what about when the sun goes down? Are there any unique things to do in Charleston SC at night? And why don’t more people rave about this place?
Charleston in SC is beautiful, but like many tourist places in America, it can also be pricey. Unless you know where to go.
We recently spent a week in Florida, cruising the Ft Lauderdale waterways for less than $20 a person so I was determined to find some cheap things to do at night in Charleston.
If you are travelling with two teenage kids (like me) who tend to stay in bed until lunchtime and then emerge like vampires looking for things to do at night, then this is the post for you.
This guide will also be useful if you are looking for things to do in Charleston that are different from everyone else.
Things to do in Charleston SC at Night
The following suggestions on fun things to do at night in Charleston SC at night will make everyone in the family happy and suit even the most frugal of traveller.
Best Charleston Restaurants
Charleston is full of lovely restaurants but if you are on a budget (or traveling with kids that can eat you out of house and home) then you will love the following two restaurant suggestions.
If you have a car as we did, drive 15 minutes from downtown and go to Dellz Uptown.
- It’s a vegan restaurant but I didn’t tell my teenagers this otherwise they wouldn’t have wanted to go. There is plenty of free on-street parking. It is open until 8 pm. We ate there two nights it was that good.
- As well as vegan and vegetarian the menu also includes meat options, I tried both – a chicken wrap with black beans, melted cheese, brown rice, Mexican sauce and sour cream, and then a vegan pizza with tomato, coriander, chilli and avocado both were absolutely delicious.
- Dellz Uptown will let you bring your own wine but if you don’t carry a bottle in the car as we do, you can buy a glass for $5.
- A meal for 4 at Dellz Uptown costs us $46 when we brought our own wine and $62 when we drank theirs. It has a very nice vibe with easy going, kind staff. Get the window seat and watch the Charleston locals going about their evening on the busy street.
My teenagers loved it and all the while I don’t think they ever guessed we were in a vegan restaurant.
Brown Dog Deli
- If you are in town and can’t be bothered to drive you are not going to regret going to the Brown Dog Deli for dinner. The deli has two branches in Charleston, we went to the Calhoun street branch. It is open until 10 pm.
- This long narrow eatery has high ceilings, fabulous music, a relaxed atmosphere and superb food. There is something here to please everyone.
- My 13-year-old daughter is pretty fussy and was delighted to find she could build her own hot dog.
- My 16 year old would eat a horse and still be hungry but the portions were big enough – even for him.
- Brian and I shared a pulled pork meal and it was plenty. We had a couple of beers instead of wine (it was cheaper) We paid $56 for the four of us.
- Either of these places would be a fabulous Charleston nighttime option. I looked around and there were groups of friends and also couples eating there.
- We were the only family in there but that’s ok. You can just do what we did. Admire the hundreds of album covers that are posted all over the walls and then bore the kids senseless about how things were better in the days when you had to save up and buy yourself a record.
For Pinterest ⇓
Wondering What to do in Charleston at Night? Night Tours in Charleston SC.
I couldn’t believe it when I learned that there were night tours in Charleston, and I was even more excited that they were so cheap!
We took a ghost tour at night and it was the best money we could have spent.
Super Natural Charleston 90 Minute Tour
If you are stuck for something original and fun when bouncing ideas for what to do in Charleston, then sure you check out Get your Guide and book the supernatural nighttime tour.
In our opinion, this tour was the best thing to do in Charleston at night, especially with older kids.
We were met by our guide who was a professional actor, dancer and director and he certainly knew how to tell a captivating story.
From the very start of this amazing tour, we were hanging on his every word, not to mention his coattails.
I highly recommend this tour. You can check out the details of the ghost tour here.
This isn’t just a haunted ghost tour, this is also an entertaining history tour. We learned a great deal about this fascinating city and the people that lived here.
Charleston at night is an eerie place, to say the least. Try and go in the winter when the tiny paned windows are lit by flickering holiday candles and you will swear you can see shadows lurking around every street corner. We loved it!
Where To Stay In Charleston If You Want To Vamp Up Your Night!
If you really want to make your stay in Charleston SC then why not spend the night in the notorious (but very beautiful, I must say) Battery Carriage House Inn.
While in Charleston we learned that this Inn is said to be the most haunted (and funnily enough, the most romantic!) hotel in Charleston SC.
Many guests have witnessed a wailing torso hovering above their bed. A little tip: if you’re booked to stay here and you find yourself in room 8 or 10 – move.
The Inn is booked up for months in advance so if you would like to spend the night here be organised!
I had to drag my daughter to visit the haunted hotel after the walking tour was over. I didn’t see a ghost but I did see two very entertained teenagers.
Related Posts That You Will Enjoy!
So, that’s it! Things to do in Charleston SC at night – if you are with kids then even better! Be prepared to spend an evening eating good food, huddle up to the one you love and be entertained in a way that you’d undoubtedly forgotten existed. If you have any other tips on Charleston then please comment below, I’d love to connect with you!