When packing for a plane journey, be it a long haul trip or a quick weekend away on an internal flight, you want to be comfortable. Nobody likes to turn up at their destination feeling wrecked. To ensure that you look and feel and look wonderful, pack the best travel essentials for the plane and change the way you fly.
This post may contain affiliate links. They cost you nothing but we make a small commission.
There are a few airport hacks that we swear by when taking a long flight.
One of these tips being only taking the things that you will use and that will benefit you on the plane.
Use a comprehensive and thorough travel checklist to make sure that you are only taking the absolute essentials. Leave the unnecessary ‘I might need that” things at home.
Make sure your essentials are close at hand and small enough to pack down into your bag. There are some genius travel accessories that can save you weight and space, including stylish rain ponchos that squash down into almost nothing and travel pants that are light and comfy.
We want you to arrive at your destination feeling as relaxed as possible.
For Pinterest ⇓
10 Of The Best Travel Essentials For The Plane:
Let’s start with sleep.
The one thing that every single one of us prays will be possible once we settle ourselves into our seats on the plane is that we will be able to sleep. To do this I recommend you pack the following:
Travel Essentials That Will Help You Get Your Beauty Sleep
- Because we travel as a family we have tried almost every travel pillow out there and this fabulous newJ- pillowdesigned by the British is brilliant. You can twist into any position making it ideal for those whos chin tends to fall forward like me!
- Ingenious chin support keeps head from falling forward, provides neck support by filling the gap between head and shoulders making it the best-patented travel support pillow for travel.
- You can conform and twist the pillow into several positions. The design is perfect for full support while sleeping upright without getting a stiff neck, making it perfect for Airplane flights, cars, bus ride, trains, camp.
- I love the way that it compresses pretty small into my flight bag and comes with a handy snap loop that attaches to your luggage. Perfect!
aSnapsmile Eye Mask for Sleeping for Men Women,
- I was bought this brilliant Snapsmile Eye Mask a present before we left on our backpacking trip and it is the BEST thing for getting sleep on the plane.
- SLEEP DEEPLY ANYWHERE, ANYTIME: This deep eye cup sleeping mask designed with 3D contoured bulge provides a deeper and larger cover area，3D groove design in eye socket, creating the airy barrier you need to stay sleeping, keeping you restfully dreaming with absolutely NO eye pressure.
- There is no comparison between this and the regular eye masks. It has an adjustable strap at the back so no more long hair getting matted into velcro and it is a total blackout. It sits comfortably on your face, and you can wear it for hours without getting those annoying eye mask marks that the cheaper ones give you.
- This eye mask for dry eyes is made of breathable Slow-rebound Memory sponge and smooth fabric. The front of the mask uses crystal super soft material, the inside elastic cloth is in high density, shading; heat dissipation and the ventilation effect is perfect.
- Anybody who knows me will know I start to panic if I don’t have Lavender Oil in my bag when I am travelling. This Plant therapy blendof sleep and relaxation oil can be applied directly to your temples for a calming effect.
- GREAT FOR SLEEP AND SMELLS FANTASTIC TOO: The softly, sweet floral aroma comes from blending the following oils: Lavender, Marjoram Sweet, Ylang Ylang Complete, Sandalwood Australian, Chamomile Roman, Peru Balsam diluted in Fractionated Coconut Carrier Oil. Apply at night to drift off to worry-free slumber.
- Rollerball, making this product ideal for travel!
Travel Essentials To Help Combat Achy Legs
Now. Let’s make sure you are comfortable when you wake up.
- The Sleepy Ride portable footrest is amazing.
- There’s one thing that drives me mad when I’m on a plane, and it’s when I discover there isn’t a footrest. How annoying. Before long your legs start to ache and you end up rolling up your sweatshirt so that you can raise your feet up slightly higher.
- This brilliant travel essential for the plane lets you enjoy leg and lower back support while your legs swing gently with the motion of the plane. Imagine a mini hammock. Simply loop the strap over your tray table arms and put your feet in the hammock!
- EASY TO USE – Simply hang it on the arms of the tray table and place your feet in the footrest. Enjoy it with the tray table up or down. The adjustable straps allow for the perfect length to provide the necessary support.
- I never used to wear compression socks when I flew. I thought they were for old people. Now that I am that old person I would not fly without them. The difference it makes to how your legs feel at the end of the flight is unbelievable.
- The compression on the Physix Gear compression Socks is perfectly located on the heel, foot and calves, giving you instant support and comfort.
Travel Essentials To Keep Your Skin Looking Gorgeous
I am a 48-year-old woman who travels a lot.
As you can imagine I have tried endless serums, creams and potions that all promise to hydrate my skin and keep it looking beautiful so that I don’t get off the plane looking like a Ryvita biscuit.
In my opinion, there is only ONE serum for younger looking skin that actually works and that is the Oz Natural Range. They do loads of lovely products, but the one that I never fly without is Vitamin C + AHA Facial serum.
It is divine.
- 98% natural with key ingredients Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Vitamin C20, Vitamin E
- Anti – ageing, anti-wrinkle, hydrating
- carefully sourced ingredients formulated without the use of potentially harmful synthetic chemicals.
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Small enough to fit into my flight bag
One of the most important things you can do on a flight to keep your skin looking lovely is to stay hydrated.
We love these genius collapsable water bottlesthat squash to almost nothing when not in use. Perfect for traveling. Keep one in your bag and fill up on the go!
- Made of BPA free, food-grade platinum silicone and 100% FDA approved to ensure safe drinking as well as no odours or tastes.
- Lightweight collapsible design with hook allows for quick & easy storage while traveling or adventuring outdoors.
- Easy to seal tightly and Wide-mouthed design makes Anntrue traveling water bottle easy to clean the interior or add water and ice.
We all know how it feels to get to the end of a long flight and have the urge to wipe your skin free of all the dirt and air that has settled on your face.
Here is something I absolutely love.This works in transit (love the name too!) have a range of products that are perfect for travel. Including these handy wipes that you won’t fly without ever again.
- Kind on the skin and convenient cleansing pads
- Bio Boost Superblend of repairing plant oils, anti-ageing Rosewater, anti-inflammatory Sweet Almond Oil and balancing antibacterial Water Mint to remove impurities, and hydrate and support the skin.
- maintains the skin’s PH balance, ensuring your complexion gets a healthy start and luminous finish every single day.
- Fit perfectly into your flight bag!
The first thing to look dry on a plane is your hands.
I have been using this wonder cream for over twenty years now and it never fails to amaze me how amazing it is. Named the worlds best hand cream, you won’t want to fly without a tube of L’Occitane.
- Worlds best hand cream! What more can I say?!
- 20 per cent shea butter, honey, almond extracts and coconut oil are blended to create this extremely effective formula.
- Lasts for AGES. You only need a small amount
- Also very effective on the heels of your feet – just saying!
Eight-hour creamwas created more than seventy years ago and is still the number one beauty product that women (and men) turn to for hydration.
I love the tint in this lip balm, it gives a subtle, fresh look while remaining ever so slightly plane glamorous!
- Helps moisturise, soften and smooth lips. Perfect for long flights
- SP15 perfect for protection against the sun (which you will get plenty of on your vacation!)
- Just having this is my bag makes me feel special. I love it.
Travel Essentials That Reduce Any Unnecessary Stress
Zoppen Multi-purpose Rfid Blocking Travel Passport Wallet (Ver.4) Tri-fold Document Organizer Holder, 23 Paradise BlueZoppen Passport/ Money/ Boarding Pass Holder
Again, this is one of those travel essentials for plane travel that will be on my Christmas list.
- My husband is always the one in charge of carrying our four passports, tickets and boarding pass but if we all had one of these it would save him a lot of stress! The Zoppen Multi-purpose travel organizer is made from eco friendly PU leather.
- It is roomy and organised with a place for your passport, boarding pass, tickets. Three credit card slots, one id slot, one sim card pouch, a cell phone pouch, a zipper for coins and money AND a pen holder! Phew!
- The best part of all – for those who understand technology (excluding present company) is that it keeps identification-thieves away from you and protects your personal information with the use of an inside RFID blocking shield material under frequency 13.56 Mhz.
These are the most expensive item on my plane travel essentials list, but they are a luxury I couldn’t be without.
- I know that airlines give you a pair of headphones on the plane but, like many people, I am paranoid about the damage headphones can do to your ears so am very fussy as to what I choose.
- It isn’t until you have tried a pair like the Bose Quiet Comfort 35 that you realise what you have been missing out on.
- Unlike some other headphones, Bose do not sell themselves as being completely noise cancelling. Instead, they focus on the quality of the sound that is delivered and yes, it is a fantastic sound. Not too basey, a nice clean sound and unlike some headphones that I’ve tried don’t make your ears too hot.
- They might as well advertise as sound cancelling because when you have them on you can hear little else. The earcups are soft and they have a padded headband so they sit comfortably on your head. An important feature for me when I travel is weight. I don’t like bulky headphones. The Bose are light and fit nicely into my flight bag.
An Extra Bag For Souvenirs!
When folded up, this lightweight Travel Duffle Bag is just 30 x 32 cm.
- Unfold at the airport to avoid excess luggage and carry your gifts and souvenirs home! When opened to its full size it is 85 litres capacity. It is super lightweight and durable with lots of extra pockets for those things you couldn’t resist.
- It also makes a nice lightweight alternative to a suitcase if you are only away for a few days and want something practical and easy to carry.
And Last But Not Least, Best Multi Trip Travel Insurance!
Last, but by far the least most important travel essential you will need before you set off on your flight.
Great travel insurance.
We use World Nomads regardless of whether we are taking a trip for a week or a year and they are fabulous.
I recently cracked a tooth while eating ribs in Bangkok (as you do) and needed an emergency root canal filling. World Nomads were sympathetic, efficient and responsive and the total cost of the dental treatment was covered in my policy. Take a look at the quote box below if you haven’t yet got your insurance.
Other related posts that you will enjoy!
We hoped you enjoyed reading our compilation of brilliant travel essentials for the plane 2019. As I said, most of them we use and one or two of them are on my to buy list for my next flight.
Did I miss something? If you have just done a plane journey and found something you couldn’t live without please share it with me either through the comments below or by email, If you enjoyed this post, please share it with your friends!